Who is this course for?
The Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management for Children and Young People’s Services qualification provides candidates with the skills and knowledge needed to manage practice and lead others in children and young people’s services. It is appropriate for those employed as managers of settings or groups of settings, deputy managers and management trainees.
This qualification provides an opportunity to up skill existing Managers and Deputies, enabling them to develop management skills in preparation for taking on new roles and responsibilities that benefit the workplace and the service it provides.
What you'll learn
Candidates must complete a minimum of 18 units, comprising:
all of the Mandatory units
a minimum of 6 Optional units, of which a minimum of 4 units must come from Optional Group A
- Study Skills
- Use and develop systems that promote communication
- Promote professional development
- Champion equality, diversity and inclusion
- Develop health and safety and risk management policies, procedures and practices in
children and young people’s settings
- Work in partnership in children and young people’s settings
- Understand children and young person’s development
- Lead practice that supports positive outcomes for child and young person development
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to support the safeguarding of children and
- Lead and manage a team within children and young people’s setting
- Develop professional supervision practice in children and young people’s work settings
- Lead practice in promoting the well-being and resilience of children and young peopleGROUP A OPTIONAL UNITS – a minimum of 4 units
- Develop procedures and practice to respond to concerns and complaints
- Recruitment and selection within children and young people’s setting
- Facilitate the development of effective group practice in children and young people’s
- Manage induction in children and young people’s setting
- Facilitate change in children and young people’s setting
- Manage finance within own area of responsibility in children and young people’s setting
- Manage quality in children and young people’s setting
- Develop and evaluate operational plans for own area of responsibility
GROUP B OPTIONAL UNITS
- Understand how to manage a team
- Understanding professional supervision practice
- Undertake a research project within services for children and young people
- Lead the management of transitions
- Support children’s speech, language and communication
How you'll learn
Qualifications are delivered in the workplace. You will be allocated a personal Teaching and Learning Co-ordinator and will be given access to our on-line study area where you will find all your learning materials. Your Teaching and Learning Co-ordinator will provide you with personal tutorial support and assessment at pre-arranged times.
How you'll be assessed
Assessment is through a variety of methods including observations in the workplace, witness testimonies, product evidence, professional discussions, assignments and project/case studies. All evidence will be logged to your electronic portfolio of evidence.
What you can do next
Successful completion of this level 5 qualification will allow learners to consider the Level 6 childcare studies.